5th graders created these fabulous snowmen!
1. First students were given a large square piece of clay. They removed a little piece for the head and added details. Then wedged their large ball of clay.
2. They made their large piece into a pinch pot
3. Using the small piece of clay they removed another chunk for the head and rolled the clay into a ball. They then attached the head to the pinch pot being sure to scratch and score the surface.
4. I had the students poke a hole into the head not to go through completely. Even though the ball of clay was probably small enough and would not blow up, I wanted to be sure!
5. Lastly They used the extra clay to add details such as: hats, ear muffs, scarves, buttons, eyes, carrot nose, mouth etc.
Pieces were then fired and painted using tempera paints.
All done and ready to wrap and go under the tree!